AbstractMethodError with raven-logback > 7.8.5

When using all versions of raven-logback > 7.8.5 I’m running into a AbstractMethodError when running tests:
sbt.ForkMain$ForkError: java.lang.AbstractMethodError: null at ch.qos.logback.core.OutputStreamAppender.encoderInit(OutputStreamAppender.java:180) at ch.qos.logback.core.OutputStreamAppender.setOutputStream(OutputStreamAppender.java:171) at ch.qos.logback.core.FileAppender.openFile(FileAppender.java:206) at ch.qos.logback.core.FileAppender.start(FileAppender.java:127) at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderAction.end(AppenderAction.java:90) at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.spi.Interpreter.callEndAction(Interpreter.java:309) at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.spi.Interpreter.endElement(Interpreter.java:193) at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.spi.Interpreter.endElement(Interpreter.java:179) at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.spi.EventPlayer.play(EventPlayer.java:62) at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.GenericConfigurator.doConfigure(GenericConfigurator.java:165) at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.GenericConfigurator.doConfigure(GenericConfigurator.java:152) at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.GenericConfigurator.doConfigure(GenericConfigurator.java:110) at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.GenericConfigurator.doConfigure(GenericConfigurator.java:53) at play.api.Logger$.configure(Logger.scala:278) at play.api.Logger$.configure(Logger.scala:232) at play.api.inject.guice.GuiceApplicationBuilder.applicationModule(GuiceApplicationBuilder.scala:78) at play.api.inject.guice.GuiceBuilder.injector(GuiceInjectorBuilder.scala:126) at play.api.inject.guice.GuiceApplicationBuilder.build(GuiceApplicationBuilder.scala:98) ...

I tried each version down to 7.8.5 where the issue went away. We are on logback 1.2.2.

This is when running your own test suite? Can you try pinning logback to 1.2.1 just to see if it helps? That’s the version raven-logback currently builds against and it could help me debug.

Sorry for the delayed response:

I’ve pinned logback to 1.2.1 and also attempted to upgrade to sentry-logback 1.2.2 and I’m still seeing this issue.

This occurs when I attempt to start my Play application

Here is a possibly more helpful stack:
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.AbstractMethodError
at ch.qos.logback.core.OutputStreamAppender.encoderInit(OutputStreamAppender.java:180)
at ch.qos.logback.core.OutputStreamAppender.setOutputStream(OutputStreamAppender.java:171)
at ch.qos.logback.core.FileAppender.openFile(FileAppender.java:206)
at ch.qos.logback.core.FileAppender.start(FileAppender.java:127)
at ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender.start(RollingFileAppender.java:100)
at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderAction.end(AppenderAction.java:90)
at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.spi.Interpreter.callEndAction(Interpreter.java:309)
at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.spi.Interpreter.endElement(Interpreter.java:193)
at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.spi.Interpreter.endElement(Interpreter.java:179)
at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.spi.EventPlayer.play(EventPlayer.java:62)
at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.GenericConfigurator.doConfigure(GenericConfigurator.java:165)
at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.GenericConfigurator.doConfigure(GenericConfigurator.java:152)
at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.GenericConfigurator.doConfigure(GenericConfigurator.java:110)
at ch.qos.logback.core.joran.GenericConfigurator.doConfigure(GenericConfigurator.java:53)
at play.api.libs.logback.LogbackLoggerConfigurator.configure(LogbackLoggerConfigurator.scala:94)
at play.api.libs.logback.LogbackLoggerConfigurator.configure(LogbackLoggerConfigurator.scala:62)
at play.api.inject.guice.GuiceApplicationBuilder$$anonfun$applicationModule$1.apply(GuiceApplicationBuilder.scala:102)
at play.api.inject.guice.GuiceApplicationBuilder$$anonfun$applicationModule$1.apply(GuiceApplicationBuilder.scala:102)
at scala.Option.foreach(Option.scala:257)
at play.api.inject.guice.GuiceApplicationBuilder.applicationModule(GuiceApplicationBuilder.scala:101)
at play.api.inject.guice.GuiceBuilder.injector(GuiceInjectorBuilder.scala:181)
at play.api.inject.guice.GuiceApplicationBuilder.build(GuiceApplicationBuilder.scala:123)
at play.api.inject.guice.GuiceApplicationLoader.load(GuiceApplicationLoader.scala:21)
at play.core.server.ProdServerStart$.start(ProdServerStart.scala:47)
at play.core.server.ProdServerStart$.main(ProdServerStart.scala:22)
at play.core.server.ProdServerStart.main(ProdServerStart.scala)