Default Rate Limits per project?

Is there a way to set default rate limits per project to err on the side of safety?

We have Spike Protection on sentry.io but I’m not sure if similar functionality is available for self-hosted. @untitaker, @jauer any idea?

Spike protection isn’t available on self-hosted. For safety, you can set an organization-wide rate limit as well as a percentage of that per project. This is under Organization Settings > Rate Limits.

What version of Sentry on-prem has the Rate Limits page? I’m on 21.8.0 and don’t see it under Organization Settings.

Turns out we’ve deprecated these settings and are hiding them if they are no longer being used. You can still activate them from a sentry shell. Please take this with a grain of salt, however.

For example, to set the project rate limit to 60%, run:

> sentry shell

from sentry.models import Organization
Organization.objects.get(id=1).update_option("sentry:project-rate-limit", 60)

This value will be stored in the database. After this, you should be able to see the rate limits setting window in Organization Options.

Thanks. When you say “we’ve deprecated these settings”, are you saying that sentry:project-rate-limit won’t be used/referenced in the future? I guess what I’m asking is, can I depend on this working in the future?

Good point, I should’ve elaborated on that right away :slight_smile:

For now, you can absolutely rely on these options. We have no active timeline to remove them. Eventually, before we do, there will be a migration notice and more information in the changelog.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.