Re-licensing Sentry - FAQ & Discussion

We specifically didn’t want a dual license model- more specifically we don’t want to maintain two codebases/services.

Going forward patches would inherit the BSL license, but we’re open to a process where if the patch is significant (not a bugfix or a few lines of code) we could bundle it under Apache 2.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarity WRT future contributions.

A simple question. Say, our company sells custom tailored AI solutions, customer specific (we write code, privacy set to extreme, everything is self hosted). Most of the time, our service is exposed via API. We consider to start using Sentry. Could we share our self hosted sentry service with our customers (like, make logins for them to observe errors) or would that fall under BSL license?

Not really a simple question as this use case feels like on the edge. :slight_smile: Would you mind sending an e-mail to oss@sentry.io and we can discuss there further?

Hi! I would like to double-check whether a specific use-case would be considered “providing a competing service”. (I hope this is the correct place to ask this, since the last comment on this topic was many months ago.)

We are developing an SaaS app (currently in the MVP stage) and many of our clients insist on on-premise deployments, or have strict compliance and data locality requirements. The compliance requirements also mention logging and monitoring and using sentry for those would be ideal. Lets say we want to deploy sentry to a client’s servers, as an on-premise deployment, to monitor our app (which is also deployed on-premise at the client’s servers). Can we use the open-source project version of sentry for this? (The argument being that the service we are providing to our clients is our app, and not general Application Monitoring.)

Does this depend on whether the sentry dashboard or alerts or other features are used only by us or also by our client? I.e. if only we do maintenance and admin on the server running at the client, one can argue that the exact words of the licence, “third parties directly benefit from the error-reporting or application monitoring features” is not triggered here, since it is our ops that “directly benefits”. However, if we also give access to the client’s ops team, does that trigger the “third party directly benefits” part?

I have a feeling that this use-case might be right “at the edge” for what you want to allow. For example, if you say that “yes, this is acceptable”, does that mean that someone can start an “outsourced Application Monitoring” company, which deploys sentry limited to monitoring specific apps? (Which will most likely also mean much higher pricing, due to the added value compared to a generic Application Monitoring Service). Of course, if they call this “outsourced Application Monitoring”, that is cutting it quite close to “providing a competing service”, but what if they call it “outsourced App Maintenance and Operation” or if they call it "operating "?

So, I would be interested in your interpretation, since using the arguments outlined above, I think I can argue both, and I would like to defer to yours.

Also, if this use-case does not fall in the “allowed for free” category, I assume it will fall in the most expensive enterprise pricing package, with the “ask us” pricing. As well it should, since the end-user client is most likely big enterprise with deep pockets. Unfortunately our pockets are much slimmer, the app being in the MVP stage, so in this case that will most likely require us to use some other logging setup for these deployments for now.

Hi @abeld,

I’ve already referred your inquiry to our relevant team but it would be great if you could shoot us an email over at oss@sentry.io so we can contiune from there.

The team is still evaluating the details so we won’t have an immediate answer for you but it also won’t take forever :slight_smile:

Hi I got here from this heads-up. Thanks for explaining the reasons for re-licensing in details.

As I understand the 36 months is supposed to be a way to get ahead of competitors especially copycats. Just a thought, is there some choice to wait shorter with a price? For example, can a business uses source code that’s just 3-month-old, for $1000 a month, or some price after negotiation?

We call that SaaS :smiley:

Hi! I would like to double-check whether a specific use-case would be considered “providing a competing service”.

For the record (since we’re fielding emails about this), we would generally view the scenario described here as not permitted under the BSL.