Roadmap PostgreSQL Update

Hi guys,

is there anything planned in terms of updating the current PostgreSQL Version from 9.6 to anything newer ?

Asking because AWS has set a deadline for Support 9.6 RDS Instances until Jan 18, 2022 and it would be pretty neat to have an idea if somethings needs to be rethought in the Architecture.

Thanks in Advance :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: !

Hey OpCode!

Upgrading PostgreSQL is definitely on our To Do list, but there are a few bumps in the road. The first is that a glibc upgrade causes big problems for sort in PostgreSQL, which we have to work around first. We have changed our replication very recently as a first step towards getting to a newer PostgreSQL. As for exactly when that will happen, I’m not totally certain, but it is actively being worked on.

As you can imagine, we have to be very careful with this as it’s fine and dandy for us to manage our own PostgreSQL, but to introduce a breaking change into On-Prem Sentry would be bad for everyone. Once we get it sorted for our own installations, we’ll get On-Prem Sentry sorted as well.

2 Likes

Thats good know, thanks a lot :slight_smile: !

Oh, btw we are going to be adding a custom plugin for Postgres into our setup for a service called “CDC” , short for Change Data Capture, which pipes Postgres events to Clickhouse for faster processing on some dimensions.

Don’t think this would work with RDS so you may want to consider alternatives anyway.

You can find more info here: feat(cdc): Prepare the self hosted environment for the Change Data Capture pipeline by fpacifici · Pull Request #938 · getsentry/onpremise · GitHub

/cc @fpacifici

1 Like

I saw that on Github yeah. So you guys at Senry Build your own Postgres Databases but on regular VMs right ?

Maybe worth a consideration to port the DB to EC2

Not necessarily. We just tweak the main Postgres image a bit so our plugin works, that’s all :slight_smile:

This is all done via some entrypoint override and bind mounts so we don’t build a new image but that can be done too.

I get that but i would love to see your automation and infrastructure and how you ensure that Sentry is up and running 24/7 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: !

But i guess thats your well kept secret :slightly_smiling_face:

The parts we can already share regarding the setup are in GitHub - getsentry/onpremise: Sentry On-Premise setup

The rest is what keeps the lights on for Sentry with years of expertise :slight_smile:

1 Like

Our production environment is actually quite similar to the On-Prem setup, but scaled horizontally at basically every spot and with more redundancies put in place. There is some secret sauce, but nothing too far deviated as that would make maintaining the different repos more difficult. A key focus for the Operations team right now is to deduplicate work across our various repos to get to a more homogenous state.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.