What is a Root Url!?

Hey, this may be dumb, but I’m new to this Sentry on-premise and I’m wondering what it is asking for when it asked for the Root URL at setup. It says it’s typically just a URL but like what kind? Can I just do localhost or a localhost port? Do I need to do anything special in order to make it work because I’ve tried just random localhost:$PORT and I throw logging errors with the sample event when I try with the given DSN (I’ve used the regular Sentry but it was getting expensive). This seems like a simple thing I don’t understand so any help would be great!

Can I just do localhost or a localhost port?

Yep. It’s wherever Sentry is running. The root url for my local install is set to localhost:8000.

Cool thanks, so do I just have to open that port and I’m good to go?

:slight_smile:

So i opened port localhost:8000 and I tried to pass in a sample error, but it doesn’t work and it looks like it times out in Sentry. Here’s my code:

from raven import Client
from raven.handlers.logging import SentryHandler
from raven.conf import setup_logging
import socket
import sys

sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
server_address = (‘localhost’, 8000)
sock.bind(server_address)
sock.listen(1)
print(“hi”)
sock.accept()
print(‘hi’)
client = Client(‘http://7c85c3a768234aa682068d181d72f605:7a37600f8c094d93b1a7d1817776fa00@localhost:8000/2’)
handler = SentryHandler(client)
setup_logging(handler)
client.captureMessage(“HI”)

any help would be great!

Hey, so did you do anything special to your localhost:8000 ? I’ve tried nc, python.socket, making an apache server, nothing works! Please help me out :frowning: