Automatically Create JIRA Tickets

I have recently set up the Jira Integration with Sentry and I can create a new Jira ticket when I view a Sentry Issue. But I have not been able to find a setting that will allow Sentry to create a Jira ticket on its own for each new issue that arises.
Is it possible to have Sentry create Jira tickets with no human interaction? This would be really useful to prevent the added step of manually creating each Jira ticket.

Thanks for the help!

There’s intentionally no way to do this on the current generation of issue tracker integrations. While it might seem like a good idea to automatically create a Jira issue out of every Sentry issue, it will quickly prove to be detrimental if you ever have an outage or send a large set of events that don’t aggregate together.

1 Like

That’s a good point. Thanks for the quick reply!

While I agree that a Jira ticket for every Sentry issue would be excessive, I still think auto ticket creation should be a supported feature. With alert rules, teams have a lot of control over exactly when a Jira ticket is created. For instance, if an event is especially severe / frequent (say, over 10k events in a few minutes). In this circumstance, we’d like to ensure some follow-up action takes place, and the most convenient way to do that is to auto-create a ticket.

In the meantime, there are other ways to implement this flow anyway, with webhooks, email alerts, etc. It would just be nice to have it already baked into the Jira integration.

I would still like to hear from others who’ve tried to implement something similar in their orgs though. Even with customizable alert rules, is this a beast that can’t be tamed?

Is this still not available? Sentry creating Jira ticket automatically.

I understand the usability decision, but I’d argue that Jira seems fully capable to handle those edge cases. Jira’s bulk edit, and search functionality could easily help merge large outage issues as you suggest.

This is one feature we’ve appreciated from Fabric/Firebase, is this a topic that will be addressed in the future, or has Sentry decided not to solve this problem?

You could use Integromat (or another service) for receiving a webhook when your issue was created and then he would create a Jira issue

As @ibm5155 mentioned the best approach is to build an integration that does this. We will never automatically create a Jira ticket out of a Sentry issue (the issues I described are still issues). We’ve talked about making it possible to build via a rules engine - so that you could decide when to create a ticket (vs all the time), but thats not high on our priority list at the moment.

This feature is now live to organizations that include transactions in their Business plans. That means if you’ve recently signed up or migrated from the “old” Business plan you’ll have access. See it in the docs: Jira | Sentry Documentation

It’s also available for Azure DevOps!

It will be in on-prem versions with the next release (we release on the 15th of each month).

This integration only work for Jira cloud, can we make it work in Jira server instances?