Changing Sentry account for capturing exceptions to a customer's, but not receiving alert emails routed to my address

Hi,

I want to change the Sentry account connected to a mobile app I made with Expo to my client’s account, while only I receive email notifications for issue alerts, as my client isn’t technical themselves.

I developed the Expo app for a freelance client on my own account, and now I want to make a new Sentry account that belongs to my client, so that I can develop other applications with my own account.

I registered a new account, and already changed the DSN, API token, organization name, and user name. But although the new Sentry account receives events, it doesn’t notify my email. Is this because my email is also the primary email of my own Sentry account?

I hope that my use case is legitimate. If not, do you have a suggestion about what would work better? On thinking about how it might seem from your end, maybe it skirts close to having multiple accounts?

I thought it made sense to make a separate account for my freelance client because once I finish my contract with them, I won’t be the future maintainer, unless they draw a new contract with me.

I believe I followed the instructions at the Help Center here correctly, but am surprised I don’t receive alert notifications at the second email address I

1. Set up,
  2. Verified, and
  3. Updated as the alternative email in the dropdown inside Notifications > Fine Tune Email Routing by Project.

Is there anything you think I’ve done wrong? I’d love to know your thoughts and cooperate in the manner you think best.

@BYK Sorry to bug you, might you have an opinion you can offer about the above?

Relatedly, when setting up Sentry in Expo, if I’m switching the account it sends captured events to, is there a need to re-install the sentry-expo package? (I would guess no, but maybe it does some setup behind the scenes I don’t know about)

@dereksleung - sorry I’m trying to build some context here:

1. Is this sentry.io (SaaS) or on-premise? If on-premise, which version?
  2. Why do you need to give your client direct access to Sentry?
  3. Why are you not using multiple projects under the same account instead of multiple accounts?

@BYK

1. Is this sentry.io (SaaS) or on-premise? If on-premise, which version?
  • It’s SaaS, I’m not hosting it on my own hardware.
  1. Why do you need to give your client direct access to Sentry? / 3. Why are you not using multiple projects under the same account instead of multiple accounts?
  • Oh, good question, I guess I was assuming I would need to give them direct access.

• Since I’m not the future maintainer unless they contract me again, it seemed natural to give them their own Sentry account they controlled access and permissions to.

• I’d rather not give either my client, or another developer access to my own account, but I think I was picturing something like owner-level access and my password, rather than project-based and different team member permissions.

• Sorry, this is something I work on at nights, and I hadn’t looked into those features yet. :sweat_smile:

• Would you suggest instead that I keep the project on my account, but add my client or future developers as team members with varying permissions?

• If there are several projects on my free Developer account, is the grand total of events / month I can capture with all projects 5000, or is it per-project?

Hi @dereksleung, BYK from the past here :smiley: Sorry, this fell of my radar and I’m only getting back to it now. Have you found a solution to your work style or do you still need some assistance from our side?