Delete/Remove/Resolve single event(s) of an issue?

Hi there,

I was looking a long time to be able to delete, remove or better resolve particular events of an issue. I asked a colleague and he said it’s possible. So I went into one specific issue, looked up all events, filtered it by the environment “development”, resolved this filtered issue/events … but, the overall issue got resolved. All events in it, doesn’t matter which environment, got resolved - but I only wanted to resolve the events connected to our environment “development”.

Why do I need it … or … Why do I think that I gonna need this? :thinking:

In some situations there might be a testing event or wrong event in it that we want to delete. It also could be that we want to resolve events that are grouped into particular environments, browsers or OS but they are grouped overall.

Maybe it’s possible to “ungroup” events and then group them how we want/need it, and then resolve it?

What also could be is that I missed the global idea of issue/event-grouping and I want to use it wrong. :sweat_smile: IOW: My wish to resolve only specific event(s) could be misplaced.

And this is fine :slight_smile: Some other ideas/thoughts and help are appreciated!

In your opinion, would there be any situation where this could be (really) necessary?
Are there other ways to go to achieve these goals?

Thanks a lot!

Nico

1 Like

I’m not opposed to us providing this in the API, its just something that hadn’t come up in the past so we never built it.

1 Like

This is something I was looking for also. Our use case is we would like to delete events older than 30 days via the API or alternatively be able to customize the data retention for our account https://sentry.io/security/#data-retention

We intend to offer flexible retention in the future but deletions are extremely expensive historically for us which is why we don’t expose any additional APIs around them today. Retention policies allow us to optimize this otherwise unscalable problem.

Makes sense. Thanks!

Hi, is this something that can be done? I need to do it in the case that a user asks that any information we have stored for them is deleted.

EDIT: Created a new post Exporting/Deleting User Data

Is there a way I can resolve/ignore individual events?

Has this functionality already been released/is planned?

I have a really simple use case:

I got two exceptions with the same stack trace, but for different reasons (bugs) which are now clubbed together in the same issue. One of these has been resolved, and I wish to see only the remaining ones in the Sentry dashboard. Is there a way I can do this?

We’re working on functionality to enable this particular usecase
(re-grouping poorly grouped events) but cannot promise it will ship
anytime soon.

re-grouping poorly grouped events

I’d say that my use-case falls more under the category of delete/ignore individual events of an issue, rather than having to delete the entire issue.

No hurries though, and thanks for the update @untitaker! Much appreciated!

I am not sure about your usecase then. I thought you were experiencing two events being grouped together into the same issue even though they represented two different bugs? Surely the correct solution would be to split up the issue into two.

Ah, yes, I should have been more clearer. Although the reasons are two, the stacktrace is exactly similar, which is why Sentry grouped them both together. [I admit, that part of our code needs a lot of rework :p, but that’s tangential here]

What I want to do is to remove some of those events, once I have analyzed them and am sure that they have been resolved, for the sake that when I triage them again, I don’t have to painfully go through all of them again.

Right now, if I understand correctly, this is not possible, because deleting a single event would delete the entire issue – am I right?

the stacktrace is exactly similar, which is why Sentry grouped them both together

If the stacktrace is not indicative of similar bugs in your application, sentry (or the way it is configured) needs to be fixed, not necessarily your code. There are ways to change how Sentry groups: Client-side fingerprinting, server side fingerprinting + grouping enhancements (https://docs.sentry.io/data-management/event-grouping/grouping-enhancements/).

We’re going to give you more ways to apply those things more easily, and also retroactively. This then allows you to split off events into new issues/groups, which you can then resolve. Not sure when we’re going to be able to launch this stuff though.

Setting client-side fingerprint with event_id in beforeSend would allow you to achieve 1 event per 1 issue:

beforeSend: (event, _) => {
  event["fingerprint"] = [event.event_id];
  return event;
},

I’m not sure if it’s a bad approach or not.