Minidumps from Windows machine gettings ignored

Hello team,

I need some help with uploding minidumps on Sentry

Problem
No issue is created on Sentry upon uploading a minidump file from a Windows 10 machine.
Everything is working fine on a Linux machine

Steps

1. get the pdb file from exe using cv2pdb : cvpdb.exe myapp.exe

2. convert pdb file to breakpad symbols using dump_syms tool: dump_syms.exe myapp.pdb > myapp.sym

3. upload symbols on sentry: sentry-cli.exe --auth-token TOKEN upload-dif --no-bin --org org_name --project project_name myapp.sym

4. upload dump file: curl.exe -X POST ''https://sentry.io/api/ID/minidump?sentry_key=KEY' -F upload_file_minidump=@/path/to/minidump
    curl returns status as 200

Environment:
MingW64 toolchain(g++ 7.3), Windows 10, Qt 5.10

I am not sure if sentry just ignores the file or is it not able to create a trace for the dump file(maybe something is wrong with the symbol file)

Any help would be of great help

Thanks!:grinning:

Hi predx,

Did sentry-cli report "OK " after uploading the breakpad symbols and does the file appear under Project Settings > Debug Information Files? Unless the minidump you’re uploading is still processing (which will usually only take a couple of seconds), you should either see processing issues or the issue appearing in your issue stream. Just to confirm, you see neither of those?

Are you self-hosting Sentry or using sentry.io? If the latter, could you please let me know which organization and project you are referring to?

Thanks,
Jan

Did sentry-cli report "OK " after uploading the breakpad symbols and does the file appear under Project Settings > Debug Information Files?

I don’t remember whether it said okay but yes, the file does appear under the Debug information files. I have uploaded 3 files till now(one elf and 2 breakpad symbols) and all three appear under Debug information files

Also, sentry-cli diftuil check myapp.sym returns

“Debug Info File Check Type: breakpad Contained debug identifiers: > c85f35c0-7108-4260-a75f-a0d21da93645-1 (x86_64)
Usable: yes”

So I am guessing there is nothing wrong with the symbols.
And, I am using 32 bit version of sentry-cli. I don’t think that will make any difference though

Unless the minidump you’re uploading is still processing (which will usually only take a couple of seconds), you should either see processing issues or the issue appearing in your issue stream. Just to confirm, you see neither of those?

Correct, i see neither of those

Are you self-hosting Sentry or using sentry.io?

using sentry.io

If the latter, could you please let me know which organization and project you are referring to?

Organisation: test-acc
project: el-maven-logging

Thank you, I’ll have a look soon.

We’ve isolated the issue and will deploy a patch later today. Your windows crashes should start coming in some time after that. Thanks again for providing all this information and detailed steps to reproducing the issue.

Thanks!
Windows crashes have started coming now