Sentry overhead?

Hello,

We are interested in setting up a local sentry server and are concerned about the performance overhead.

I have followed the tutorial to set up sentry through linked docker containers and have hooked it up to Vue.js which we currently use.

From what I have seen it seems that the data from javascript will be sent whenever a request to the sentry server can be made, even if it is our code still executes which is nice. I am guessing the call to the sentry server does not impact the loading speed or performance of our pages at all. Could this be confirmed?

There are concerns about the overhead. We have to install raven and register it with Vue.js and although it is a small bit of javascript from what I can see(56.4 KB) it still adds a tiny bit to our initial load. This downside is totally offset but the advantages this brings though.

Really I am asking this question mostly to help put the minds of my colleagues at ease and ensure that this will not greatly impact load-times, performance or the workings of our code when the sentry server does happen to go offline.

Any information about this, to remove the doubts of others would be greatly appreciated.

Get @stephan-v,

I don’t have a hard numbers on this one for you, but there are 3 things that might help you:

• Raven.js is <10kg gzipped, not 56kb as you mentioned, so it’s much smaller than you though
  • Initial load won’t be affected (other than by download/parse time of JS code), as the only thing we do is attach event handlers and instrument some internal functions (which is barely few function calls)
  • Performance wise, the only thing that “might” somehow change it, is continuously sending large payloads to our server (which right now is capped at 100kB afair), as Vue.js attaches it’s stores to it. This can all be changed using dataCallback to strip down anything you want to skip, which’d make the payload much smaller.

Cheers,
Kamil

1 Like