We are passing in an
auth_id field into our exception extra’s and it’s getting scrubbed server-side. I ran into this article https://help.sentry.io/account/security/what-are-the-default-data-scrubbers/ which shows
auth as a default scrubber field.
I then updated the global and project settings to allow just
auth as a safe field and tried to resend my sentry. It works for the first few sentries I manually trigger but once my staging/production environment sends sentries with
auth_id, it then reverts back to scrubbing and
auth_id shows up as None (since its an integer, if i try a string I see [filter]).
Please let me know how I can fix this. I can provide details of the specific events if needed.