Sentry_sdk --> server version compatibility list?

Is there any documentation that shows the minimum version requirements for python sentry_sdk to work with a specific self-hosted sentry server?

We are running a self hosted Sentry server install (python) – version 8.13.0
I tried upgrading a service from raven==5.27.0 --> sentry_sdk==0.14.2
It didn’t work as expected. And, https://github.com/getsentry/sentry-php/issues/643#issuecomment-420924391 says that upgrading Sentry Server to 8.22 is the fix. So I’d like to know if there is a definitive compatibility list somewhere.

Some of the errors look like:

There were 2 errors encountered while processing this event
Discarded invalid parameter 'transaction' Expand
Discarded invalid parameter '_meta' Expand

There is no such compatibility table at all, but I would have guessed the Python SDK only works with Sentry 9+. We can only guarantee completely error-free events on SaaS as we continuously add new attributes to the schema. The errors you see are non-fatal and should not impact functionality.

I know there are no guarantees with self-hosting. But, do you have a recommendation on the order of events for moving to sentry_sdk? I’ve noticed changes to the fingerprinting in some edge cases. And some errors that look like they’re coming from the sentry “caputure_message” part instead of the actual error in the code. I feel this must be some subtle compatibility issue. So would the correct order be:

1. Upgrade server to 9.0
  2. Switch client to use sentry_sdk

We group by the code line itself, so if you change it from raven.captureMessage to capture_message that likely created a new issue just because of that.

Generally grouping is really fragile against code changes. We use the source code line for grouping instead of the linenumber because the former is less likely to change.

Related to the original question. If we try upgrading our Server version first (which is recommended in the docs), will our clients which are all on raven (python) 5.27.0 still work?

Yes, we try much harder to keep newer servers compatible with older clients.

The issue we’ve run into is that if Sentry get’s flooded with errors the raven client can spawn too many threads and break the app.

Was this bug handled in by raven 6.10?

I’m still trying to think through the safest upgrade path.

I’m sorry, I don’t know which bug you are refering to and whether it was fixed in that Raven version. I don’t think it would have anything to do with your Sentry server version though.

Hi. I think it’s related to this issue: https://github.com/getsentry/raven-python/issues/835

We can start seeing errors like this when there’s too many errors getting reported to sentry

File "/opt/venvs/app/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/raven/transport/threaded.py", line 122, in start
self._thread.start()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 736, in start
start_new_thread(self._bootstrap, ())
error: can't start new thread