What do to default Resolve, Ignore, Delete buttons do?

I can’t believe I’m asking this. But I’ve just spent a good hour searching this forum, the docs and google (since there is no search functionality for the blog ) and I cannot find this basic information.

So, what do the non-dropdown Resolve, Ignore, and Delete buttons do? The drop-down options have text explaining the functionality better, but not the immediate click buttons.

Capture

I’m assuming Resolve marks it as resolved immediately. Ignore? Ignore forever? Until it happens again? Delete? Just this once? Or will it also throw away future errors? A mouse-over hint would be nice…

I am also looking for good definitions of Resolve, Ignore and Delete. Again, I’ve looked and looked in the docs. I see a ton of info on how to capture the errors, but not much about what these three resolutions do, how they differ and how they react to re-occurrence.

Terribly sorry if I’ve asked a silly basic question or overlooked some obvious manual somewhere, but I didn’t know where else to turn.

2 Likes

We have some docs at https://docs.sentry.io/workflow/notifications, but I guess since it’s under Notifications it’s hard to find.

Resolve resolves immediately, and unresolves if it happens again. Ignore supresses alerts for the issue and hides it from the issue stream unless is:ignored is explicitly searched for. Delete deletes all data associated with the issue and creates a new issue if it happens again.

Tooltips are a good idea, thanks for the suggestion.

I actually have the exact same question.
When clicking on the immediate button "ignore’, until when the issue is ignored? Until it occurs again one time from now? Forever?
(I hope it’s the first rather than the second one)

The link to the doc is broken. The closest I found was https://docs.sentry.io/workflow/alerts-notifications/alerts/#ignore but it doesn’t answer this.

2 Likes

It would be great if the button could be changed to “Ignore until this happens again”, so it works the same as the Resolve button, for issues that happen so rarely that you won’t actually “resolve” them (by writing code).

@adhiraj I have the same question as well. Can you please elaborate on the Ignore button? Thank you.

1 Like

I have the same question as am trying to ensure am giving the correct info to sentry end users in my org. Is the ‘ignore’ button (without choosing anything from the dropdown) the same as ‘ignore forever’ or ‘ignore until the next time you see this’? I now think the answer is the former but I had initially assumed it was the latter. Seems like a very easy item to document clearly but its definitely confusing to users!

We have documentation about these actions now: Issue States and Triage | Sentry Documentation