How many Projects is our web app?

When I first set up Sentry with our app, I configured everything from the production instance to go to a single Project in Sentry. Django, celery, the browser JavaScript code, etc. After all, it’s all integrated; whether an error is reported from python or javascript, it might be part of the same user workflow.

But as we add a mobile app, other integrations, put different products on different release cycles, I wonder if we’re outgrowing the single-project organization.

To a large extent, I expect “separate project, or just a tag?” is a matter of taste. I also expect there are features where one way clearly works better than the other.

For example, if different products have different version numbers (release identifiers), is that a clear signal that they should be in different projects? Or will Sentry be okay with having multiple releases reporting to a single project at the same time? Seems like it would mess with its ability to decide a new release has happened.

But if we do split up things into multiple projects, will we lose visibility on correlations between browser and server-side errors, or if a single user is having similar errors among several of our products?

Thanks for any guidance you can give us on this.

My advice would be to, at minimum, split it up into project-per-version. Mobile app is likely very separated from the web app, but javascript/server might still want to live together.

1 Like