JIRA: Problem Creating Issues due to required custom field not being passed properly

Hi there,
We have Tempo installed in our Jira instance and it has an Account field which is required on our project. The ticket creation tool has 2 problems with that field, 1) it doesn’t give us a drop down of accounts with search like the other fields provide (e.g. users) and 2) if we enter a number, e.g. 3 in the screen shot, it’s passed as a string which is invalid.

Regards,
Ben

Hi Ben,

This seems like an issue with how 3rd party custom fields are handled in the JIRA API. The metadata that we get back from JIRA gives no indication that that field should be a number field (see JRA-45371 for other people who are having the same issue).

That said, we just released a change where we’ll try to force that field into an integer/float (like other number fields – see this PR if you’re interested). I confirmed that I’m no longer getting the error you’re seeing when submitting, but since we don’t use the Tempo plugin for JIRA, I can’t confirm that the JIRA API will actually recognize the value as an account ID. Do you want to give it another try?

Hi Jess,
It works for me now, thanks! Is there any chance you guys can add a type to search drop down for this field like you have for other fields like Component & Assignee? Obviously not a requirement but it would be great to have!

Regards,
Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for confirming that it works now! We are probably not going to add a dropdown for the Tempo account field in the near future. The main reason for that is that it’s not a JIRA feature that everyone uses and given the number of available JIRA add-ons and custom fields, we just can’t commit to fully supporting everything right now. That said, I filed https://github.com/getsentry/sentry-plugins/issues/88 for tracking purposes, so if you’d like to subscribe, you’ll be notified if/when we add that feature.